This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

A question from a new collector.

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

A question from a new collector.

Postby AlidarJarok2 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:25 pm

I hope you guys maybe able to answer. First off I am sort of a new collector. Started when the first movie came out. I loved Transformers when I was a kid. Sort of forgot about them over the years. Shame on me. Any way. I am starting to run of out room for all of my Voyager Class Transformers.

My question is as a collector should I open them to display them or leave them in the box? I am so undecided on what I should do. Any feed back would be awesome.
"Cries and screams are music to my ears."
AlidarJarok2
Mini-Con

Re: A question from a new collector.

Postby Mkall » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:34 pm

Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
Hey there and welcome to the site and the fandom!

There's no right way to display your figures. It all comes down to what makes you happy. I can understand the space issue, having experianced it myself. If you decide to keep them all in boxes, maybe there's a spare closet that you can store some of them in at least temporarily? Sure while in the closet they cannot be seen, admired or adored, but at least you've made room to expand your collection until you move or aquire more display space.

If you do decide to open them (which is what I do) then you must decide whether or not to keep the packaging. If you do decide to keep the boxes, then that's even more space you'll have to take up. If you decide to throw out the boxes (which I do) then you don't have to worry about that, though eventually you'l run out of space again due to loose figre congestion.

I hope that's helped a little.

Discord: Mkall#0376

My Collection! Updated Oct 21, 2022
Mkall
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 402
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10

Postby AlidarJarok2 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:40 pm

You speak words of wisdom good sir. But I am still not sure on what I should do. Some I wont ever open like my SDCC Soundwave. Bah such a hard decision. Thanks for the info.
AlidarJarok2
Mini-Con

Postby Mkall » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:46 pm

Weapon: Twin Sonic Cannons
AlidarJarok2 wrote:You speak words of wisdom good sir. But I am still not sure on what I should do. Some I wont ever open like my SDCC Soundwave. Bah such a hard decision. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, it's never an easy decision to change your collecting or displaying habits. The short term space gains might not be worth the long term regret in having all those opened boxes.

PS. Always good to have a romulan defector among us ;)

Discord: Mkall#0376

My Collection! Updated Oct 21, 2022
Mkall
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 402
Speed: 6
Endurance: 6
Firepower: 6

Postby Razorclaw0000 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:53 pm

Motto: "Know that I am Razorclaw, that my reality is not yours, and while I share Tigerhawk's dual Spark and Vok heritage...
I am NOT he!"
Weapon: Ion Particle Blaster
Welcome aboard AlidarJarok2!

I'm a mixed loose and MISB collector (usually opening one or two instances of a mold, and keeping repaints, and especially exclusive repaints, MISB).

What I've found for MISB stuff is large totes (18 gallon or larger) can hold alot of figures, keep them safe, and allow you stack pretty high without risking crush damage on lower figures. You can get cheaper brand ones on sale for under $4 USD these days if you have access to Home Depot or Lowe's and check the ads frequently.

Loose figures get gently wrapped in double thick newspaper and nestled *as tightly as possible* together in more totes, to prevent jostling.

Good luck!
Razorclaw0000
Gestalt
News Credits: 609
Buy from Razorclaw0000 on eBay
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Postby AlidarJarok2 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:54 pm

I don't think I will open them just yet. I just wish they where not in such big boxes. Thanks for the info again. :D
AlidarJarok2
Mini-Con

Postby shonenfan4 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:56 pm

Weapon: Fusion Blaster Cannon
This was also a dilemma for me for a while back when I first started collecting not just Transformers but also other toys are well. What I ended up deciding was to open those that you really want to try out (transform, display...etc) and keep those that you like them as boxed up. Personally I rarely open up the leader class figures because of their large size and already transformed in box, I keep them stacked up in their boxes for easy storage.
<GOODBYE CRUEL WORLD>
Haters, you've won.
shonenfan4
Godmaster
News Credits: 1

Postby AlidarJarok2 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:09 pm

Wow you guys are awesome with all the fast reply's. As of right now I got a bit more room to work with. Just need to find that pesky Lon Haul and Grindor.

I am afraid soon I will not have any room left.
AlidarJarok2
Mini-Con

Postby Gauntlet101010 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:14 pm

I always open them. I like to fiddle around with my figures. And I don't really love the packaging most times. With them open I can have more fun with my display (various poses and groups).
Gauntlet101010
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Prime Riblet » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:38 pm

Motto: "Mottos! We need no stinking mottos!"
Weapon: Double-Barreled, Armor-Piercing Particle Beam Cann...
This is such a crappy topic...and I mean because it sucks to start running out of room. I refuse to decrease the number of TF's I have, so space becomes an issue. You can never have enough Transformers, and it's impossible to ever have enough space. :)
Prime Riblet
Gestalt
Strength: ???
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Endurance: 8
Firepower: 9
Skill: 7

Postby SKYWARPED_128 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:32 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Personally, I display my TF's on rotation, so the older ones get mothballed for a few months while newer acquisitions take their place on the shelves.

I usually open up those with boxes that I can put the figures back in, keeping them MIB.

I also keep most of my Hasbro deluxe figures MISB, since most of them come in bubble packaging. Why Hasbro and not Takara? Hasbro's delux packaging glues the sides of the bubble onto the front of the cardboard, whereas Takara's grips around the back of the cardboard, making it look MISB even after it's been opened, at least from the front.
SKYWARPED_128
Gestalt
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 9
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Postby MagnaBlade » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:24 pm

I can never resist opening them. The only time I keep one MISB is if I have a second one I can open. I think many of them do look really cool in the box but they are too much fun not to open. They do look more organized when displayed in boxes though. Just my 2 cents on the topic.
MagnaBlade
Minibot

Postby Lapse Of Reason » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:31 pm

Weapon: Sword
I open them all. Boxes are recycled.

A cluttered display is an eyesore. Really. Have a few out at a time, rotate them out, etc...
Lapse Of Reason
Gestalt
News Credits: 10
Buy from Lapse Of Reason on eBay
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 7
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: ???
Skill: 10+

Postby tom brokaw » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:32 pm

open them!
tom brokaw
Gestalt
News Credits: 4

Postby SnapTrap » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:54 pm

First of all, welcome to the forum.

My main question to you is why did you collect the movie toys in the first place? Was it because you were a fan of the toys or because you thought they would be valuable in the future? If you were a fan of the toy then rip them open and indulge in awesome engineering and detailing that these newer figures have over their predecessors. If it is for the supposed value of the toys in the future well generally speaking there is a good chance this line may not make big bucks in the long run due to easy availability of the figures. So rip them open and enjoy them.
SnapTrap
Targetmaster
News Credits: 4

Postby El Duque » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:07 pm

Motto: "I ain't got time to bleed!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
I open everything. To me transformers need to be opened and played with to fully enjoy them. Other figures like GI Joes or StarWars basically only have one "mode" and it's clearly in view in the packaging. They may have some accessories and other stuff that can be added to the figure, but for the most part what you can see in the packaging is what you get. Transformers on the other hand by their very nature only display half of what they are in their packaging. It's really a personal choice. Do you want to open them and transform them? If so have at it.
El Duque
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 5749

Postby Convotron » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:44 pm

Motto: "When in doubt, transform and roll out!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
I'm new to collecting as well and I display my Transformers so they come out of the boxes. I enjoy TFs for the multiple modes and especially enjoy particular figures that have well designed transformations. I also rotate my displayed figures and change them up from alt and robot modes.
Toys for sale, S.H. Figuarts, Revoltech, Robot Damashii, Figma, and more!

Discounts for purchases of 3 items or more! See sales thread for details.

Never forget the Oath Sworn Through Courage!
Convotron
City Commander
News Credits: 2
Intelligence: 7
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 9

Postby shonenfan4 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:31 pm

Weapon: Fusion Blaster Cannon
On a side note, if you decide to open and display your transformers collection, you would also need to at least dust once per month or you have a display case to keep out the dusts.
<GOODBYE CRUEL WORLD>
Haters, you've won.
shonenfan4
Godmaster

Postby Jetstorm92210 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:52 pm

Weapon: Dual-Sonic Disrupter Gun
I suggest you to open them and keep the boxes like I do, because, even if you open a Transformer it is still valuable when you want to sell it, and keeping the box makes it even more valuable despite being opened. And, unlike some Star Wars and GI Joe toys, most Transformers are made to play and not to display.
Jetstorm92210
Fuzor
Strength: 6
Endurance: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby OPTIMUS MAGNUS » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:03 pm

Man, I can't help but opening them! The only things I have MISB are all of my Encore releases and a few exclusives. I just have to play with the damn things! I do understand MISB collectores however, that just ain't for me. :P :lol:
Seibertron trading feedback:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=20397
OPTIMUS MAGNUS
Targetmaster

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #111 3rd ptg Boom Studios Comics 2023 JUL238715"
MIGHTY MORPHIN POW ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv #13 Cvr A IDW Comics 2024 MAR241186 13A (CA) Myer"
NEW!
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT JENNIKA II #6 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 Ninja Turtles FEB210477 (CA) Goux"
TMNT JENNIKA II #6 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT #147 Cvr D 1:25 RI IDW Comics 2024 OCT231357 147D Turtles Ongoing Corona"
TMNT #147 Cvr D 1: ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR TMNT II #1 Cvr F Boom Studios Comics 2022 OCT220272 1F (CA)Eastman+Williams"
MMPR TMNT II #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT ARMAGEDDON GAME #3 RI 1:10 IDW Comics SEP221734 3RI (CA) Qualano 230103A"
TMNT ARMAGEDDON GA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT + USAGI YOJIMBO WHEREWHEN #3 Cvr B IDW Comics MAR231664 3B (CA) Eastman"
TMNT + USAGI YOJIM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Last Ronin LOST DAY SPECIAL #1 Cvr A IDW Comics FEB231510 1A (CA) Bishop"
TMNT Last Ronin LO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT SPLINTERED FATE #1 Cvr A IDW Comics 2023 JUN231481 1A (CA) Verdugo"
TMNT SPLINTERED FA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "USAGI YOJIMBO #23 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 AUG210594 23RI (W/A) Sakai (CA) Young"
USAGI YOJIMBO #23 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES DARK AGES #5 Cvr I 1:10 Dynamite Comics 2024 SEP230251 5I (CA) Moss"
GARGOYLES DARK AGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MMPR 30TH ANNV SPECIAL #1 Cvr C Boom Studios Comics JUN230421 (CA)Blevins+Austin"
MMPR 30TH ANNV SPE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "POWER RANGERS DRAKKON NEW DAWN #1 (of 3) Cvr A Boom Studios Comics 2020 1A"
POWER RANGERS DRAK ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "USAGI YOJIMBO ICE & SNOW #1 Cvr B Dark Horse Comics 2023 JUL231123 1B (CA) Young"
USAGI YOJIMBO ICE ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #350 - Oops! All Optimus
Twincast / Podcast #350:
"Oops! All Optimus"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, May 18th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Roadtrap" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warriors Class Autobot Jazz Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Prowl Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Insecticon Bombshell Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations, Platinum Edition, One Shall Stand, One Shall Fall" on AMAZON