This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

ROTF Ravage with chrome

Post all your customized Transformers here. Whether it's a small mod or a true kitbash, we'd love to see it!

ROTF Ravage with chrome

Postby Universe » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:26 pm

Another repaint using Testors Model Master enamels. Finished it with some dark chrome gun tips and spikes.

Last edited by Universe on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Universe
Micromaster
News Credits: 5

Re: ROTF Ravage with G1 chrome

Postby DAY ONE » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:35 pm

Really nice job. I'm new to repaints but this looks great. The paint apps and detail work are really clean. I've been using tamiya acrylics but from this and what i've seen of frenzyrumble's customs, enamel seems to be really good (maybe better?) Any thoughts on enamel vs acrylic from an enamel user?
DAY ONE
Mini-Con

Re: ROTF Ravage with G1 chrome

Postby Universe » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:19 pm

DAY ONE wrote:Really nice job. I'm new to repaints but this looks great. The paint apps and detail work are really clean. I've been using tamiya acrylics but from this and what i've seen of frenzyrumble's customs, enamel seems to be really good (maybe better?) Any thoughts on enamel vs acrylic from an enamel user?

I started out using acrylics, using both Tamiya and Testor's Model Masters. Purchased a couple dozen bottles of acrylics, did a few repaints and then also saw frenzyrumble's customs. While mine turned out good, the paint properties itself seemed noticeably different, so I purchased some paint and tried it. The result is this, my first attempt with enamels.

While enamels are softer and require more time to dry, it's variety and realistic properties of metallics are far superior. They're shinier and look like real metal. The colored metallics look like real premium car paints and actually have depth. I have both enamel and acrylics versions of some paints, and the enamels looks far better in every way. Being they take so long to dry, you can get extremely thin paint layers for drybrushing, almost like dusting, which is great for building out detail.

The downside for me is painting large solid surfaces, like a body of a car. Acrylics can easily be watered down and washed over, but enamels need to be properly diluted and it's probably best to airbrush, as it's easy to lump up. They're also softer, so some clear spray is helpful.

But, all in all, after this and the Voyager Megatron repaint, I'm sold on enamels overall, however if I do future repaints that doesn't require metallics, I'd still use the acrylics I've already purchased.

Hopefully that helps!
Universe
Micromaster

Re: ROTF Ravage with chrome

Postby MutantDinosaur » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:55 pm

This has got to be my favorite repaint! It's subtle (and not in a "painted-all-one-color-and-is-therefore-bland" sort of way) - which is perfect for Ravage, who should be subtle (or he wouldn't be very effective at his job :wink: ). Is that a flat black base coat and dry-brushed metallic silver? It looks absolutely fantastic!
MutantDinosaur
Mini-Con
News Credits: 2

Postby Universe » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:25 pm

MutantDinosaur wrote:This has got to be my favorite repaint! It's subtle (and not in a "painted-all-one-color-and-is-therefore-bland" sort of way) - which is perfect for Ravage, who should be subtle (or he wouldn't be very effective at his job :wink: ). Is that a flat black base coat and dry-brushed metallic silver? It looks absolutely fantastic!

Thanks!

Yes that's about right, it's a matte black base coat and then dry-brushed with several shades of grays and silvers. Model-masters dark grey, gunmetal, steel, chrome, and then chrome-silver.
Universe
Micromaster

Postby Mykltron » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:26 am

Motto: "If I win again I'm still the champion. If you win HAH! that's just impossible.

Weapon: tea cup."
It's nice to see subtle chrome use. This is a beautiful piece!

Why not take a look at My TF Repaints? Updated 23rd January 2015
Mykltron
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 9

Postby shonenfan4 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:15 pm

Weapon: Fusion Blaster Cannon
If this is what the Hasbro repaint of chrome ROTF ravage is gonna look like, I'm sold. The paint that you gave to Ravage made him look like a masterpiece ravage. :lol:
<GOODBYE CRUEL WORLD>
Haters, you've won.
shonenfan4
Godmaster
News Credits: 1

Postby Convotron » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:53 pm

Motto: "When in doubt, transform and roll out!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
Very cool paint job!

Universe wrote:I started out using acrylics, using both Tamiya and Testor's Model Masters. Purchased a couple dozen bottles of acrylics, did a few repaints and then also saw frenzyrumble's customs. While mine turned out good, the paint properties itself seemed noticeably different, so I purchased some paint and tried it. The result is this, my first attempt with enamels.

While enamels are softer and require more time to dry, it's variety and realistic properties of metallics are far superior. They're shinier and look like real metal. The colored metallics look like real premium car paints and actually have depth. I have both enamel and acrylics versions of some paints, and the enamels looks far better in every way. Being they take so long to dry, you can get extremely thin paint layers for drybrushing, almost like dusting, which is great for building out detail.

The downside for me is painting large solid surfaces, like a body of a car. Acrylics can easily be watered down and washed over, but enamels need to be properly diluted and it's probably best to airbrush, as it's easy to lump up. They're also softer, so some clear spray is helpful.

But, all in all, after this and the Voyager Megatron repaint, I'm sold on enamels overall, however if I do future repaints that doesn't require metallics, I'd still use the acrylics I've already purchased.

Hopefully that helps!

I'll have to keep these tips in mind when I start painting!
Toys for sale, S.H. Figuarts, Revoltech, Robot Damashii, Figma, and more!

Discounts for purchases of 3 items or more! See sales thread for details.

Never forget the Oath Sworn Through Courage!
Convotron
City Commander
News Credits: 2
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 7
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10

Return to Customizations

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #41 Marvel Comics 1988 (W) Budiansky (CA) Delbo 231222V"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers SHATTERED GLASS #1 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 1RI (CA) Milne 230305B"
Transformers SHATT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS GALAXIES #5 Cover B IDW Comics 2020 NOV190607 5B (CA)Pitre-Durocher"
TRANSFORMERS GALAX ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS '84 Secrets & Lies #2 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2020 2RI (CA) Roche"
TRANSFORMERS '84 S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #5 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 APR210675 5A (A/CA) Burcham"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #22 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926U"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #15 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926M"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #33 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 MAY210466 33B (CA) Lloyd (W) Ruckley"
TRANSFORMERS #33 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 Cvr D Image Comics 2023 0823IM289 1D (CA) Ottley"
TRANSFORMERS #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #11 RI Retail Incentive 1:10 IDW Comics 2019 BOLD NEW ERA 11RI"
TRANSFORMERS #11 R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #25 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2020 SEP200485 25RI 210804 (CA) Ossio"
TRANSFORMERS #25 R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers KING GRIMLOCK #1 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 JUN210456 1B (CA) Padilla"
Transformers KING ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Prime Beast Hunters #5 Cvr A IDW Comics 2013 5A (CA) Christiansen"
Transformers Prime ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS vs TERMINATOR #1 Cvr A IDW Comics JAN200696 1A Fullerton 240427A"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS vs TE ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #350 - Oops! All Optimus
Twincast / Podcast #350:
"Oops! All Optimus"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, May 18th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Roadtrap" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers RID Combiner Force Warriors Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight -- Knight Armor Turbo Changer Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Liege Maximo Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Voyager Decepticon Nitro" on AMAZON